News for August
COME TO THE SUMMER JAZZ/BLUES BUFFET
The upcoming month of August will feature our next barbecue, “Summer Jazz/Blues Buffet”, on Wednesday, August 14th. Feel free to dress in a “jazzy” outfit, of your choosing! As always, relatives and friends are invited. Tickets are available at the front desk for $14.00. Have fun! Below is our menu ~
- Grilled chicken breasts w/raspberry rhythm maker barbecue sauce
- Grilled Bratwurst links w/sour cream caraway and sauerkraut on a crusted sub roll
- Grilled Memphis style barbecue steaks
- Corn bread mini loaves with whipped sweet butter
- Mike’s home-style baked beans w/chopped smoked beef brisket
- Fresh native corn on the cobb with melted butter
- Fresh green bean benne salad
- Fresh made house potato salad
- Fresh native pickling cukes w/cider vinegar, salt & pepper
- Penne pasta salad w/roasted garlic balsamic dressing
- Top your own strawberry shortcakes bar
- Sliced watermelon
- Ice tea, lemonade, ice water and coffee
WELCOME TO SCHOONER ESTATES
Schooner is pleased to welcome our new team member and Marketing Assistant, Tom Tash. Tom has been with us for a month or so and it’s time for an official welcome! We are all finding him to be a wonderful example of the customer service that happens “behind the scenes”, by helping our marketing office run smoothly. Tom grew up in the town of Lincoln, Maine and currently resides in Winthrop with his wife Emma, they were recently married on July 6th, 2013! His background includes studies at the University of Maine at Machias, 4 years with the City of Portland Recreation Department and was Recreation Director for the Town of Bridgton starting in 2010 before coming to Schooner. And last but not least, in his spare time, he enjoys music and the great outdoors! We’re thrilled to have him on board!
MONTH OF AUGUST “GIVE BACK”
In continuation of our “Giving Back to the Community” Program, John Rice, our Director of Operations, presented a check in the amount of $500.00 to Donna M. Kincer, Development Director at The Greater Androscoggin Humane Society. Schooner is proud to be a part of the tradition of giving & sharing to help improve the lives of homeless animals.
FOR YOUR HEALTH
Get out your saucer cups and get chugging – green tea, that is. Did you know that this ancient Chinese drink is officially awesome for your health. The studies done on this powerful antioxidant are overwhelming. “Real tea” is derived from a particular plant and includes only four varieties: green, black, white and oolong. Listed below are only but a few of the great reasons why coffee’s little cousin benefits your health.
- Boosts exercise endurance which helps burn fat as a fuel for muscle endurance.
- Can help reduce the risk of a heart attack and help against cardio & degenerative diseases. It helps improves bone mineral density and strength.
- The antioxidants might help protect against a boatload of cancers.
- Is hydrating to the body, even despite the caffeine.
- Is linked with a lower risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
- Green tea may act as a protection from ultraviolet rays – a back up sunscreen.
So brew up a batch (drink at least 3 cups a day) and enjoy!
EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH
We are pleased to announce our Employee of the Month winner for July, Vinny Gowell. Vinny, a CRMA, works in Schooner Residential Care. He was chosen for offering to transport a fellow employee home from work during his lunch break. Congratulations to Vinny on such a shining example of customer service among co-workers!
Here is just a sneak peak introduction at two Senior College classes scheduled to be held this Fall, right here at Schooner.
- What It Means to be Human: Life’s Lessons from the Frontiers of Science – A witty and thought provoking class of human behavior. Eight Tuesdays stating Sep. 24th
- U.S. National Parks – Many personal experiences and interesting facts, told by instructor Joanne Lebel, about her visits to 50 U.S. National Parks. Five classes starting September 26th.
Sign ups for the courses are open first to Schooner residents and then open to the public on August 23rd. Memos are available with full course information. Call Mark Prevost at extension 132 for sign ups.
JULY BARBEQUE REVIEW
July, the official stars and stripes month, brought out a flurry of folks to our “Americana BBQ Buffet” on July 3rd. Our ViIlage Green was decorated in all of the official colors. The food, prepared by Chef Mike Morton and his amazing culinary staff, was extremely tasty!
Download the August 2013 newsletter
(Click the images to view a larger version)